-   Lost Password?   -   Register
  -   Lost Password?   -   Register

members do not see advertisements

Warning to people who alert drivers of speed traps
MR-DD Offline
Not really here

Warning to people who alert drivers of speed traps
Quote:MOTORISTS who flash a warning to other drivers alerting them of police speed checks have been fined in a police crackdown.

It came as Lancashire’s road policing unit launch a series of speed check operations at accident black spots across the county.

Police will be located in areas where residents have complained about motorists driving irresponsibly and where equipment has recorded vehicles travelling at excessively high speeds.

But not only will speeding motorists face fines – drivers who warn other motorists that speed checks are taking place by flashing their headlights will also be penalised.

Last week, during checks on Blackpool Road, Carleton, and Fleetwood Road South, Thornton, officers gave 23 motorists fines for speeding and a further 20 motorists fines for misuse of headlights.

PC Antony Gray, of the road policing unit, said: “People who flash their headlights at other cars to warn them there are police officers nearby may think they are doing someone a favour but potentially they are putting lives at risk.

“Flashing your lights at someone may make them slow down for just a second, but it will not make them change their habits in the long run.”

Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to comment on stories.

Carol Bracegirdle, of Blackpool Council’s Road Safety team, added: “If someone warns other motorists there is a speed check it won’t make drivers change their habits or behaviour, a police warning or fine is more of a deterrent.”

But others believe targeting drivers for warning others of upcoming speed checks is a step too far.

Richard Hook, a former member of the British Motoring Association said police need to concentrate their efforts on stopping the real dangerous drivers.

He said: “I am fairly ambivalent if other motorists flash their headlights, they are only highlighting police stupidity, because as usual the police seem to be going after the easy targets. I don’t think other motorists should be warned for flashing drivers to slow down.”

Philip Forster, manager of Carleton Crossroads Garage on Fleetwood Road South, added: “Its good to hear police are carrying out speed checks, as I’ve seen a lot of accidents down here but I didn’t know it was an offence to warn motorists.

“You can buy Sat Navs now which tell you when there is a speed camera on a road, are they illegal as well?”

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/b...-1-4634982

Is this a good or bad thing?
12-06-2012 08:30
Find Posts Quote
FY4MIKEH Offline
BLT THE ONLY WAY

RE: Warning to people who alert drivers of speed traps
(12-06-2012 08:30)MR-DD Wrote:  http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/b...-1-4634982

Is this a good or bad thing?

Good thing DD. People should not speed,we should all adopt the attitude of Spain, manyana tomorrow will do.Thumbsup2
12-06-2012 08:48
Find Posts Quote
Hamish
Unregistered

There is no speeding up here in scotland, we are too pissed to drive.
12-06-2012 08:55
MR-DD Offline
Not really here

Morning Hamish
Morning Mike

Thumbsup2
12-06-2012 08:55
Find Posts Quote
Hamish
Unregistered

Och Morning Mr DD
12-06-2012 08:57

Platos Offline
Big Ben Burges

They are doing the right thing and there should be more unmarked cars catching speeders not just on motorways but on the roads in general.
12-06-2012 09:04
Find Posts Quote
Bentent Offline

Well that seems to go right against what the British government quote on the TomTom website:

"The British government allows use of the TomTom Speed Camera service for inappropriate speeding on the roads to prevent unsafe driving.

In addition, the government of the UK states the following about speed cameras in navigation systems:
"The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads.""

someone pass this onto the dibble

i think i'll continue to flash thank you
12-06-2012 11:30
Find Posts Quote
TwelveAngryMen Offline

I do it all time - indeed did so on the A66 yesterday
12-06-2012 12:39
Find Posts Quote
FY4MIKEH Offline
BLT THE ONLY WAY

(12-06-2012 11:30)Bentent Wrote:  Well that seems to go right against what the British government quote on the TomTom website:

"The British government allows use of the TomTom Speed Camera service for inappropriate speeding on the roads to prevent unsafe driving.

In addition, the government of the UK states the following about speed cameras in navigation systems:
"The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads.""

someone pass this onto the dibble

i think i'll continue to flash thank you

Flash in a public place Ben.( naughty )Laugh
(12-06-2012 08:57)Hamish Wrote:  Och Morning Mr DD

before you say " are you being funny pal " let me just say neh,and good afternoon to you Hamish and DD.Bye bye
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 13:05 by FY4MIKEH.)
12-06-2012 13:02
Find Posts Quote
Hamish
Unregistered

good afternoon Michael.
12-06-2012 13:07

Bentent Offline

(12-06-2012 13:02)FY4MIKEH Wrote:  Flash in a public place Ben.( naughty )Laugh

Maybe I should whip it out as it doesnt read right Biggrin
12-06-2012 13:11
Find Posts Quote
FY4MIKEH Offline
BLT THE ONLY WAY

(12-06-2012 13:11)Bentent Wrote:  Maybe I should whip it out as it doesnt read right Biggrin

Not on here Ben there may be children watching.Laugh
12-06-2012 13:18
Find Posts Quote
jdseasider81 Offline
Moderation in drink

I always warn people. What's the difference between a car light flash and a speedcamara flash, police got nothing better to do
12-06-2012 14:40
WWW Find Posts Quote
XOWS_13 Offline

I always do too, it makes me feel good Thumbsup2
though do agree excessive speeding should be clamped down on...
13-06-2012 17:36
Find Posts Quote
MR-DD Offline
Not really here

I do it just for laughs Biggrin
13-06-2012 17:43
Find Posts Quote

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Back Henry Street | Return to Top | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication | Forum Rules