-   Lost Password?   -   Register
  -   Lost Password?   -   Register

members do not see advertisements

New Sky deal
thetruth1953 Offline

New Sky deal
Sky and Bt sport gave agreed a deal worth 4-4 billion to screen live football after 2019.
And we wonder why it has got like this. Football players on £500,000 a week Chelsea with 36/38 players out on loan etc etc
13-02-2018 21:36
Find Posts Quote
seasider Offline
Administrator

RE: New Sky deal
Football continues to drift away from the regular working class man.
13-02-2018 21:54
Find Posts Quote
Windridge Offline

Not surprised.

The 'gentrification' of football goes back to 1992:

'Let us erase the working class from the game by making their sport a business, price them out of the market and make it profitable for the elites only.'

Financial ethnic cleansing.

Even in Non League, this is starting to happen.
13-02-2018 22:04
Find Posts Quote
Hero-of-the-night Offline

There will be no need to attend games soon. I watched Barca v Real in 4K Ultra HD and I would say it was miles better than actually being at the game.

I could count the streaks in Naymars highlights.
Also it won’t be long until Live VR is available to all.
14-02-2018 10:09
Find Posts Quote
TheSteed Offline
Site Overlord

(13-02-2018 21:54)seasider Wrote:  Football continues to drift away from the regular working class man.

You don't have to pay the £4 billion.
14-02-2018 12:17
Find Posts Quote

seasider Offline
Administrator

(14-02-2018 12:17)TheSteed Wrote:  You don't have to pay the £4 billion.

No but the bigger clubs get more TV coverage and consequently the gap between the Premier League and the others will continue to grow. Parachute payments were brought in to bridge the gap so where does it stop? Football is getting more and more uncompetitive as we speak and that's when people start to lose interest.

Maybe it's just me getting old and grumpy but players on 500k a week? It's all money money money. I just can't help sense that football is losing the appeal to not only the working class but more importantly the next generation of fans. I read somewhere the other week that there is less youngsters attending football than there has ever been.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2018 14:50 by seasider.)
14-02-2018 14:50
Find Posts Quote
TheSteed Offline
Site Overlord

Equal shares in TV money is what's needed.
14-02-2018 15:31
Find Posts Quote
foggy Offline

I don't know what the alternative is.

Football is a a huge commodity world wide. It has a market share going into the hundreds of millions, if not billions. When you have demand that huge, there's going to be money to be made. Say what you want about the Premier League, but that has only added more fans, as now you have kids in places like Korea and China who are United and City fans.

When you have a market that big, it's only natural that there will be a bidding war between the broadcasting giants to show it. That can't be stopped. If Sky said 'you know what, there's too much money in football' and decided they weren't going to pump any more in, BT would just buy the rights instead and Sky would lose business. So whatever happens, there's big money. Now, why shouldn't players get a proportionate slice of that? They are the talent, they are the ones attracting the audience and the money. If the TV deal is worth 5 billion, why aren't the likes of Sergio Aguero, Sanchez and Hazard worth the millions of pounds they earn over a year? What's the alternative? If the money doesn't go to them, it just goes to clubs, to owners, to TV executives. I would rather the players on the pitch earn the money than a Chief Executive in a suit.

You might say, well let's give more money to a League 2 team. But to me there is barely any correlation between a team like Manchester United and Oxford Town, they might as well be playing two different sports. It's cruel, but the fact is nobody gives a shit about a team like Oxford. Someone like De Bruyne earns his money and the money for the team because people around the world want to watch him play, nobody wants to watch a load of jobbers lumping the ball up the pitch in League 2. That's just the way it is.

I believe some money should be redistributed anyway, but I don't see how the players can be blamed. And you can't stand in the way of a popular commodity growing. I'm pretty sure no business has ever decided to put self-imposed limits on how big or profitable it can get.
14-02-2018 16:15
Find Posts Quote
Bally Offline
1 = 20

Great post foggy. If anyone is to earn millions, it should be the players.
My biggest gripe is with the Agents, some of who will fuck a club and a player given the chance. Those bastards are just parasites and I do begrudge them earning and taking massive amounts of money out of the game.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2018 16:39 by Bally.)
14-02-2018 16:38
Find Posts Quote
Magic147 Offline
Not a penny more

(14-02-2018 16:15)foggy Wrote:  I'm pretty sure no business has ever decided to put self-imposed limits on how big or profitable it can get.

Other than OFC, you mean?
14-02-2018 16:41
Find Posts Quote

TheSteed Offline
Site Overlord

(14-02-2018 16:15)foggy Wrote:  I don't know what the alternative is.

Football is a a huge commodity world wide. It has a market share going into the hundreds of millions, if not billions. When you have demand that huge, there's going to be money to be made. Say what you want about the Premier League, but that has only added more fans, as now you have kids in places like Korea and China who are United and City fans.

When you have a market that big, it's only natural that there will be a bidding war between the broadcasting giants to show it. That can't be stopped. If Sky said 'you know what, there's too much money in football' and decided they weren't going to pump any more in, BT would just buy the rights instead and Sky would lose business. So whatever happens, there's big money. Now, why shouldn't players get a proportionate slice of that? They are the talent, they are the ones attracting the audience and the money. If the TV deal is worth 5 billion, why aren't the likes of Sergio Aguero, Sanchez and Hazard worth the millions of pounds they earn over a year? What's the alternative? If the money doesn't go to them, it just goes to clubs, to owners, to TV executives. I would rather the players on the pitch earn the money than a Chief Executive in a suit.

You might say, well let's give more money to a League 2 team. But to me there is barely any correlation between a team like Manchester United and Oxford Town, they might as well be playing two different sports. It's cruel, but the fact is nobody gives a shit about a team like Oxford. Someone like De Bruyne earns his money and the money for the team because people around the world want to watch him play, nobody wants to watch a load of jobbers lumping the ball up the pitch in League 2. That's just the way it is.

I believe some money should be redistributed anyway, but I don't see how the players can be blamed. And you can't stand in the way of a popular commodity growing. I'm pretty sure no business has ever decided to put self-imposed limits on how big or profitable it can get.

Equal distribution of TV money will allow the smaller teams to buy and pay better players and in turn, increase the attractiveness of their brand. Also to improve their infrastructure and grassroots skills development that would lead to a larger pool of talented players in the long run.

I don't think anyone has suggested the redistribution of ALL profits, so there is nothing to stop Man City, Man Utd etc continuing to reap the rewards of their international recognition and continue to pay six-figure a week salaries.

Such a set up wouldn't mean the likes of Oxford competing with Barcelona for Messi, but it would lead to a lot more competition throughout the leagues and especially in the cups.
14-02-2018 16:46
Find Posts Quote
foggy Offline

Equal distribution? So League 2 teams get a split of 1 billion quid?
14-02-2018 16:52
Find Posts Quote
TheSteed Offline
Site Overlord

For example, yeah.
14-02-2018 16:53
Find Posts Quote
seasider Offline
Administrator

I'd rather see the likes of Hartlepool and Chester survive than De Bruyne strutting his stuff in a non-competitive 5-0 victory over Watford.

The Premier League is over hyped in terms of entertainment. The gap between the 6 teams and the rest leaves half the Premier League Fixtures an absolute borefest. I don't watch half the amount of the football I used to.

I know this is just a purist view and holds no weight when it comes to the Global demands of PL football.
14-02-2018 17:00
Find Posts Quote
foggy Offline

The current average revenue of a League 2 team is just under £4m. Your system would suddenly give them 10x that amount. It would welcome new owners who want an easy pay day, with no incentive to get better. If there's no revenue difference between a Championship team and League 2 team, all that League 2 team has to do is not get relegated by being better than 3 teams a year. That's about the safest bet a rich guy can take to make more money.

And if we're talking about overpaid players out of touch with the people in the crowds, how about a journeyman who has never played above League 2 suddenly earning millions of pounds for playing in front of a couple of thousand locals. Meanwhile, all the best players in the world are now deserting the Premier League for more money in Spain, Germany and France instead. Now the next TV deal isn't worth as much because the Premier League has dropped several spots in the prestige rankings. Now you have clubs who have players tied up on contracts they can't afford because the revenue dropped instead of doing what it should do - rise. That's how the bubble bursts and clubs go bankrupt.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2018 17:04 by foggy.)
14-02-2018 17:03
Find Posts Quote

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Back Henry Street | Return to Top | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication | Forum Rules