-   Lost Password?   -   Register
  -   Lost Password?   -   Register

members do not see advertisements

West Brom Safe Standing proposal rejected
seasider Offline
Administrator

West Brom Safe Standing proposal rejected
Safe standing: West Bromwich Albion have proposal rejected by government - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43701400

In my opinion the Government have got this wrong. The law for for all seating stadia was rightly introduced but 25 years is a long time. Surely rail seats are safer than everyone standing in seating sections.

This is a chance to appeal to the working class again and give them the right to watch their team.

Bottled in my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2018 18:36 by seasider.)
09-04-2018 18:35
Find Posts Quote
whitstabletangerine Offline

RE: West Brom Safe Standing proposal rejected
The problem is if the government gave the green light for safe standing and another horrible event occurred they would be accused by the opposition of dismissing the Taylor report and be accused of gross negligence, the government can't win either way.
09-04-2018 21:21
Find Posts Quote
Hero-of-the-night Offline

(09-04-2018 21:21)whitstabletangerine Wrote:  The problem is if the government gave the green light for safe standing and another horrible event occurred they would be accused by the opposition of dismissing the Taylor report and be accused of gross negligence, the government can't win either way.

As technology evolves laws become dated.
09-04-2018 21:23
Find Posts Quote
Bally Offline
1 = 20

Nowadays the clubs have to provide us with a seat for our money. Anything less is a backwards step. For all those that can't remember or were too young to have stood on a full terrace, it was shit.
10-04-2018 05:45
Find Posts Quote
seasider Offline
Administrator

But if those people prefer standing, it would make a more pleasurable experience for those wanting to sit.
10-04-2018 07:03
Find Posts Quote

Bally Offline
1 = 20

If people want to stand to watch footy, theres plenty of room on local parks
10-04-2018 08:32
Find Posts Quote
TwelveAngryMen Offline

Having visited Germany quite a few times now I can assure you watching from the terraces ( not even rail seating ) is not shit
10-04-2018 12:32
Find Posts Quote
Bally Offline
1 = 20

(10-04-2018 12:32)TwelveAngryMen Wrote:  Having visited Germany quite a few times now I can assure you watching from the terraces ( not even rail seating ) is not shit

It is you're only a kid or a small guy. Or if its a big club with packed terraces and you're getting crushed or stood on, can't get out for a piss at half-time, standing in piss, the smell of piss. Those are my memories of the Kop on derby day, or even Wembley for a final. I'm sure plenty of older fans up and down the country have had similar experiences.
Then there is always the behaviour of some English football fans to take into account.
Football these days is more of a family event and terraces are not family friendly. Keep it all seater, it's safer all round.
10-04-2018 14:10
Find Posts Quote
whitstabletangerine Offline

Bally sums it up fairly well, just to add being taken down a few steps and then back again as the throng moved to see the corner being taken.
I prefer to stand at a match, but that is my preference, health and safety is now the big issue and I believe that any government from any party would not be willing to change things.
10-04-2018 15:05
Find Posts Quote
TwelveAngryMen Offline

There would always be choice

The ' packing ' we all experienced on terracing wouldn't and shouldn't be allowed

Indeed I can't see terracing ever being re-introduced in the upper leagues in England

Rail seats aka Safe Standing is a different matter

Shrewsbury have installed for next season, Celtic have it and for me it's about offering choice, perhaps a more affordable option to encourage younger fans and also bring back some atmosphere to our soulless stadia
10-04-2018 15:46
Find Posts Quote

TheSuffolkSeasider Offline
Ipswich Exile

(10-04-2018 15:46)TwelveAngryMen Wrote:  There would always be choice

The ' packing ' we all experienced on terracing wouldn't and shouldn't be allowed

Indeed I can't see terracing ever being re-introduced in the upper leagues in England

Rail seats aka Safe Standing is a different matter

Shrewsbury have installed for next season, Celtic have it and for me it's about offering choice, perhaps a more affordable option to encourage younger fans and also bring back some atmosphere to our soulless stadia

This. So long as it is safe, the choice should be the consumers.

Personally, I like to go to games now as a more family experience and would prefer the seated areas. If you were just going with your mates or on your bill I imagine the terracing would add to the excitement.
10-04-2018 16:01
Find Posts Quote
Bally Offline
1 = 20

Choice is only available to those that can afford all options. Just like in the old days a lot of people will only able to afford the cheapest, which will no doubt be standing.
The reasons why terracing was done away with are still relevant.

Rail seats would involve a massive installation cost to the clubs. Also how many clubs actually need to increase attendance capabilities? There's probably a handful that sell out regular but would it be cost effective for them if they sold Rail Seat tickets at a lower price?
10-04-2018 16:11
Find Posts Quote
Bally Offline
1 = 20

I'm sure that if the big PL clubs thought that it would improve their profits then they would be pushing for change
10-04-2018 16:14
Find Posts Quote
seanmacca100 Offline

(10-04-2018 15:05)whitstabletangerine Wrote:  Bally sums it up fairly well, just to add being taken down a few steps and then back again as the throng moved to see the corner being taken.
I prefer to stand at a match, but that is my preference, health and safety is now the big issue and I believe that any government from any party would not be willing to change things.

but it's more unsafe now standing at football matches in seated areas than it is in a safe standing section, having been in the one at Celtic myself before there's so much more space, and the rails protect you from going arse over tit down 4 rows celebrating a goal.
13-04-2018 21:29
Find Posts Quote
Highfield_hunk Offline

(10-04-2018 05:45)Bally Wrote:  Nowadays the clubs have to provide us with a seat for our money. Anything less is a backwards step. For all those that can't remember or were too young to have stood on a full terrace, it was shit.

Seating makes the atmosphere shit u bellsniffing ballbagface . Backwards step lol ironic coming from Mr backwardo
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2018 12:02 by Highfield_hunk.)
14-04-2018 12:02
Find Posts Quote

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Back Henry Street | Return to Top | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication | Forum Rules