-   Lost Password?   -   Register
  -   Lost Password?   -   Register

members do not see advertisements

The writing is on the wall
Victor_Vein_Bulger Offline

The writing is on the wall
1st of all, congratulations to Reading, they pin pointed our weak points and exploited them perfectly. They are the team in form, they are on a run and after lasts season's play off final heart ache, I wouldn't begrudge them promotion. Best of luck to them with the rest of their campaign. Now, on to more important matters, US!

As much as I love Blackpool, its almost getting to the point where I don't WANT us to get to the play offs, which is a ridiculous notion, but I will try and walk you through it.

We simply aren't good enough defensively to get promoted. We may be able to out score a few, maybe most teams in this division, but when it comes to the crunch and playing a team in good form like Reading today, we simply don't cut the mustard! A keeper that won't come off his line for crosses, full backs that back away and won't commit to a tackle and centre backs that seem to always leave their attacker free from set pieces, it really is quite shambolic.

Maybe I am being hard on the boys, but lets cast our mind back to February. Palace and Coventry both 1-0 up. Both missed a host of chances against us, we luckily won both games 2-1. We come up against classier teams who actually finish off the numerous chances we present against them, like Reading and Leicester in the last 2 games, you are always going to struggle.

Even if we make the play offs teams like Birmingham and West Ham would bully us to death, too powder puff. And if we DID fluke another promotion I dread to think how THAT defence would fair in the big leagues.

Blackpool and Ian Holloway have performed very well on the whole this season. I know this seems like a full on rant about how rubbish we are but to be honest we're over achieving my pre-season expectations. I thought with top players departing and zero investment we would struggle to get in the top half, so every credit to the management and players for doing so well with a limited squad.

Shame on Karl for not backing his manager in the Summer, in the January window and Thursday on the loan deadline. This was his no excuses season (his words!) - he has failed spectacularly on and off the field
24-03-2012 17:28
Find Posts Quote
MR-DD Offline
Not really here

RE: The writing is on the wall
Lets not turn this into the "Oystons" fault
It was poor defending that cost us today
24-03-2012 17:34
Find Posts Quote

Been poor all season. Bignot, Lleara and Harris have really challenged the back four for their spots.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys
24-03-2012 17:36
Find Posts Quote
The Ramsden Offline

I think we have to face the facts with the team we have we are at best a championship team. I dont know how we would go on if we did get promotion. If we did manage to go up would we spend to keep us there
24-03-2012 18:13
WWW Find Posts Quote

We both know the answer to that Ramsden. Another case of take the money and run from our illustrious leader Sad-smiley
24-03-2012 18:17
Find Posts Quote

foggy Offline

Individually our defenders are amongst the best in the league. For the most part Crainey didnt look out of place in the premier league. Baptise is a great centre back and Cathcart, whilst inconsistent, at his best is a poty contender. Eardley splits opinions so you could say he is a weak link. Evatt for me has lost a yard of pace this year but has bags of experience and is still a big ugly brute of a centre back we need.

As a unit they just dont perform, whether thats defending set pieces or poor marking when being hit on the break. KO can spend as much money as you would like on individual defenders but if we cant be arsed training so they act as a unit we are going to continue to ship goals in.
24-03-2012 18:36
Find Posts Quote
TwelveAngryMen Offline

Will any other pro team not coach defensive play?
Hmmmmm
Maybe we should just be happy with what we have but at the end of the day we have gifted 6 goals the last two games Frustrating isn't the half of it
24-03-2012 18:41
Find Posts Quote
MR-DD Offline
Not really here

I am thinking of words to describe it
How did you get on today TAM?
24-03-2012 18:47
Find Posts Quote
peleno7 Offline

Agree with the posts saying we arent working as a unit in defence. Individually our players would get in most championship sides and Baptiste would play in the premiership. So obviously there is something not happening on the training ground which is down to Ollie.
24-03-2012 18:51
Find Posts Quote
foggy Offline

to be honest i dont believe that we dont do any defensive coaching, there is possibly a bit of an over reaction here about that. There is no denying however that we do not do enough of it anyway and that it needs to be vastly improved.
24-03-2012 18:52
Find Posts Quote

TwelveAngryMen Offline

DD we refused to play and Ref agreed unsafe
Pitches were disgraceful - never ever been asked to play on a cow field
It was embarrassing
24-03-2012 18:58
Find Posts Quote
MR-DD Offline
Not really here

What pitch were you on?
24-03-2012 19:00
Find Posts Quote
TwelveAngryMen Offline

Fleetwood High
Basically an undrained playing field
24-03-2012 19:19
Find Posts Quote
GynnSquarePhoenix Offline
mod

I expected you to say 'Bloomfield Road'.
24-03-2012 19:33
Find Posts Quote
TwelveAngryMen Offline

It was probably the only pitch that's worse LOL
24-03-2012 19:36
Find Posts Quote

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Back Henry Street | Return to Top | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication | Forum Rules