-   Lost Password?   -   Register
  -   Lost Password?   -   Register

members do not see advertisements

Our best side for a potential one off Wembley Final would be?
Bfcfan19 Offline
Football Genius

Our best side for a potential one off Wembley Final would be?
Hello all, my first post on this site....

Just a hypothetical question.

IF we did get to Wembley again and I reckon it would be West ham we would face......what would our best side be and how would we play it.

Recently we have been more solid and on our small pitch its worked well. On that big Wembely pitch would that sort of style work as well? Or would we be better trying to pass the opposition off the park like we can do on a great pitch.

Personally I'd be going with our best passers and players who can keep possession and wear the opposition down.

Something close to this....

Gilks

Eardley Baps Evatt Harris

Sylvestre Ferguson Angel

M Phillips Dobbie Ince

We are capable of out passing any team in this division on a good pitch and if we believed in it and committed to it and passed at speed needed to open a side up we could do well imo.

We can still take what we have done into it which is pressing from the front. Which should have always happened anyway, its about effort, if you put 100% in and close down in packs you should make it difficult for the opposition to score and not give easy goals away, make them score good ones if they are to score, which is much more difficult.

Sylvestre is still one of our best passers if not the best, with Angel and fergie (both of whom can pass and tackle very well, angel especially good at possession play) there should be enough steel there as well as plenty of ability.

I know Dobbie has been running on from midfield but the positions are not set in stone and players can move and interchange.

Thoughts?
12-04-2012 15:24
Find Posts Quote
clappers Offline

RE: Our best side for a potential one off Wembley Final would be?
Gilks

Eardley Baps Evatt Crainey

GTF Southern Angel

Dobbie, Phillips K, Ince

In the recent series of matches against West Ham we lost the battle in nearly all areas. I would go for experience and a bit of bite, so Ferguson would be benched in favour of our recently red carded BFC legend. GTF must be in the side if fit. Angel has played his way infront of Sylvestre for me.

I would start Phillips K in a Wembley final and he'd play the whole match. In a tight game, you want him on the end of you one chance to finish. Phillips M to come on for Ince or Dobbie to freshen things up with an injection of sheer pace later on.
12-04-2012 16:23
Find Posts Quote
Bfcfan19 Offline
Football Genius

(12-04-2012 16:23)clappers Wrote:  Gilks

Eardley Baps Evatt Crainey

GTF Southern Angel

Dobbie, Phillips K, Ince

In the recent series of matches against West Ham we lost the battle in nearly all areas. I would go for experience and a bit of bite, so Ferguson would be benched in favour of our recently red carded BFC legend. GTF must be in the side if fit. Angel has played his way infront of Sylvestre for me.

I would start Phillips K in a Wembley final and he'd play the whole match. In a tight game, you want him on the end of you one chance to finish. Phillips M to come on for Ince or Dobbie to freshen things up with an injection of sheer pace later on.

I wouldn't start KP, he lacks the energy and on a big pitch could be a passenger somewhat especially after being out recently, may lack fitness for such a high energy game...? Super sub if needed definitely.

GTF in midfield is out of position and I'd want best players in best positions.

Also Southern is better imo on a smaller pitch like ours at home, on the big Wembley pitch I think he would be less effective and also I'd want our best passers and possession players. Although we have improved somewhat defensively you don't want to be defending at wembley and letting the opposition have many attacks.

I think we'd need to out pass west ham, I don't think we can beat them at their own sort of 'solidness' game.

On a bigger better pitch we would have confidence in our passing game again thats the direction I'd be looking in.

Also Ince and Phillips have been key in having the pace on the wings to get forward and track back and defend, I think them two are key to us on the wings too.
12-04-2012 16:38
Find Posts Quote
tangerine77 Offline
Administrator

Gilks

Eardley Baps Evatt Harris

Ince Southern Angel M Phillips

GTF

Dobbie
12-04-2012 16:56
Find Posts Quote
seasider Offline
Administrator

Id have the same as tangerine77 but I can't help feel guilty leaving Crainey and Ferguson out.

Sylvestre, Ferguson, Crainey, K Phillips all not in the team = very good strength in depth! Any of those could start.
12-04-2012 17:21
Find Posts Quote

esoxlucious Offline

bfcfan spot on agree with that team and for the same reasons
13-04-2012 08:34
Find Posts Quote
clappers Offline

Sylvestre Ferguson Angel

To me that three looks a bit too soft against a team like West Ham. Every 50/50 would go to them, and even if we pick up possession we'd lose it again quicksticks.

I put GTF in because his skill and guile with a bit more space available will help him get up and form a front four as and when needed. The balance would be solidity, but all out attack when we are actually attacking.
13-04-2012 08:38
Find Posts Quote
pooltillidie Offline
Turned PKE down as a young un

IF we get there it won't be against West Ham.
They will bottle it in the semi's Biggrin
13-04-2012 12:21
Find Posts Quote
esoxlucious Offline

(13-04-2012 12:21)pooltillidie Wrote:  IF we get there it won't be against West Ham.
They will bottle it in the semi's Biggrin

And wouldnt we all love to see the walruses face if that happens
13-04-2012 13:28
Find Posts Quote
tangerine77 Offline
Administrator

Ince and Phillips on the wings on that lovely wide pitch. The space they would have to run at defenders, that is scary.
13-04-2012 16:00
Find Posts Quote

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Back Henry Street | Return to Top | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication | Forum Rules